The Oklahoma Center for Community and Justice is proud to announce our newest program in collaboration with the 1921 Race Massacre Commission, the Youth Race and Leadership Forum.
As the anniversary of Tulsa’s most tragic racial event approaches, we understood the importance of creating a space where young people can come together and have meaningful conversations about race relations in the United States, the legacy of Blackness in our community, and the power within students to advocate for change for themselves and those around them.
We will use techniques that have proven success from Anytown Leadership Institute in creating a youth-led discussion space where students are able to safely and respectfully have conversations about their experiences with race and ethnicity. The Youth Race and Leadership Forum will take place over three days with a follow-up project that is completed after the forum.
It is our goal that students will gain an increased knowledge of the 1921 Race Massacre and an understanding of their own identities as well as the ways in which their identities influence their interactions with others. Students will also create a plan of action to take back to their schools and communities.
Who is eligible for the forum?
- High school students in the 10th and 11th grades.
When does the forum take place?
- Friday, September 25 (5 - 7 p.m.); Saturday, September 26 (10 a.m. - 4 p.m.); Saturday, October 3 (10 a.m. - 4 p.m.)
Where does the forum take place?
- To ensure the safety of students, facilitators and staff, our fall program will take place virtually. We are committed to nurturing an respectful learning environment so that the Youth Race and Leadership Forum is a meaningful experience.
What do students need to participate in the forum?
- Students will need access to a stable internet connection and a video-enabled laptop, tablet, or phone with access to the Zoom meeting platform. (Zoom is free to download for users.)
How much does it cost to attend?
- The forum is free to attend, but registration is required using the form below.