After a successful adapted, three-day experience last year in light of COVID -19, we are happy to be returning to our original format of seven days for Anytown 2022: Sunday, July 17 - Saturday, July 23 at Oklahoma State University in Stillwater.
Anytown is a dynamic program that brings together a diverse group of 60 high school student delegates representing schools throughout the state of Oklahoma. With the guidance of a well-trained volunteer staff, Anytown Leadership Institute delegates learn skills to confront and challenge prejudice, bias and stereotypes and discover new ways to become allies for one another.
We remain committed to the safety of our students, volunteers and staff and will make any decisions regarding Anytown Leadership Institute 2022 with public health and safety at the forefront. We are currently planning to hold Anytown in-person. If public health officials determine that this will be unsafe, we will have an alternate program available.
Applications for 2022 are now closed. To be placed on an advance waitlist for Anytown 2023, please contact Cara Golden @ email@example.com.
Anytown Leadership Institute is a leadership experience for incoming high school sophomores, juniors and seniors.
At Anytown, delegates build an inclusive community based on mutual respect and understanding. Delegates of diverse backgrounds have an opportunity to meet people whom they would not otherwise meet, and they often develop lifelong friendships and connections.
During the program, delegates participate in a variety of workshops and activities that develop their awareness and skills to lead in a diverse society. In a respectful environment and guided by experienced staff, delegates have the opportunity to discuss topics such as bullying, racial discrimination, and gender stereotypes. Students also engage in action-planning for taking leadership on issues of inclusion and justice.
Over a thousand young leaders have graduated from the Anytown Leadership Institute since its inception in 1994. Anytown graduates represent a wide array of careers, including the arts, business, education, journalism, law, medicine, military and public service, scientific research, and social work.
What we explore:
- Leadership skills
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Multicultural awareness
- Interreligious understanding
- Individual and systemic discrimination
- Addressing prejudice and discrimination
What to expect:
Anytown Leadership Institute presents serious topics in a supportive atmosphere where delegates make new friends, gain self-confidence and become stronger leaders.
Delegates & Staff
Anytown Leadership Institute delegates represent a wide variety of racial, religious, ethnic and economic backgrounds.
The Anytown Leadership Institute staff is comprised of experienced co-directors and adult advisors, who are community leaders with human relations and communications skills, as well as college-age counselors, many of them past Anytown delegates, who are familiar with and committed to OCCJ’s values.
Application & Selection Process
- Submit the application and ONE letter of recommendation*
- A committee will review all applications and select 60 applicants to participate
- Applicants will be notified of selections on a rolling basis beginning April 27, 2022
- If applicant is not in receipt of a scholarship, payment must be received by Friday, July 22, 2022 (Cost $450). Full and partial scholarship assistance is available.
*Recommendation letters may be written by an adult supervisor of a leadership activity the applicant is involved in and which is listed on the application.
- Applicants must be current freshman, sophomores, or juniors in high school or the home-schooled equivalent.
- Applicants must be involved in a leadership activity (extracurricular club, sport and/or engagement with their faith community, etc.).
- Applicants must be able to attend the Institute in its entirety.*
- Applicants must be willing and able to self-reflect and work with others.